The Lowdown is a website to help young New Zealanders recognise and understand depression or anxiety. Through encouraging early recognition and help for depression or anxiety we intend to reduce the impact depression or anxiety has on the lives of young New Zealanders, now and throughout their adult lives.
However they may be feeling, The Lowdown is full of ideas and people who can help them get unstuck and get to a better place. The site has been designed to reflect the changing way young people go online so it’s fully mobile optimised.
On the site young people can find:
- Helpful information on anxiety, depression (and other issues they may be struggling with like leaving school or getting on with their parents).
- Videos of 12 real young people telling their stories.
- Quick steps to help build healthy mental wellbeing.
- Healthy behaviours to build resilience.
- Places to go to get help.
- Information for anyone worried about a friend.
- A moderated forum for young people to share stories and experiences and provide peer-to-peer support.
Funding and Partners
The Lowdown is part of a national public health programme (the National Depression Initiative) and has been created to reduce the impact of depression on the lives of New Zealanders. It is a component of the New Zealand government’s approach to suicide prevention.
The programme is shared between the Ministry of Health and Te Hiringa Hauora/Health Promotion Agency. It is supported by partners, Homecare Medical and FCB New Zealand.
The Lowdown team would like to acknowledge the courage of the 12 young Kiwis who shared their real stories and experiences for the videos on this website, and thank them for their invaluable contribution. Thank you to Adrian, Hannah, Ben, Caitlin, Gabrielle, Geoff, Krystal-Lee, Samantha, Scottie, Sofia, Victoria and Waiata.
We would like to thank the range of expert advisors for their contributions across various aspects of the project. Thank you also to the models who feature in the site and across campaign imagery.
We welcome any feedback - please use the site feedback link in the footer below to get in touch with Te Hiringa Hauora.