You don’t have to please everyone; in fact it’s pretty much impossible. If you’re struggling with the pressure of other people’s expectations on you, you may need to have a korero with that person to work it out.
- Define the expectation clearly first – what it is and when it happens
- What are the problems it’s causing you?
- Think about how you can explain why these are unrealistic expectations being put on you
- Plan a good time and place to talk to the person who may be putting you under this pressure
- Try to avoid blame and instead focus on how you’re feeling – ask for support and guidance.